Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existing or occurring before the onset of the Oedipal phase of development.See Oedipus complex
- ‘This divided subject, unable to regain the plenitude of the pre-Oedipal phase, is nonetheless condemned to an indefinite and impossible search for unity which is the very condition of desire.’
- ‘In Helen's case, she says, the ‘activity with father’ was a conduit for carrying out the ‘revenge wishes against mother for pre-Oedipal frustrations.’’
- ‘According to the feminist psychoanalyst Nancy Chodorow, female children in particular strive to uphold the unity with their mother even after the pre-Oedipal phase.’
- ‘Victimhood, innocence, pre-Oedipal desire, and pseudo-divine feminine intuition are, she argues, neither grounds for insight, nor suitable bases for a responsible feminist politics.’
- ‘However, for Irigaray, a pre-Oedipal, homosexual desire for the mother is a key characteristic of hysteria.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.