One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the history and cultures of the Americas before the arrival of Columbus in 1492.
- ‘African, Asian, pre-Columbian and Native American objects are also on view.’
- ‘Skeletal evidence indicates that syphilis, or some infection like it, was indeed present in the pre-Columbian Americas.’
- ‘But it, too, has a long history of pre-Columbian - indeed, pre-Inca - cultivation in the Andes.’
- ‘In a recently discovered limestone cave, we crawl 45 minutes down a tunnel to find a room littered with pre-Columbian pottery shards.’
- ‘In the 1960s she painted a series entitled Tiahuanacu, named after Bolivia's most important site of pre-Columbian culture.’
- ‘Shell middens were constructed by pre-Columbian Native Americans; all were located on or near creeks or estuaries.’
- ‘The works included in this constellation combine the imagery and structure of the European avant-garde with the colonial and indigenous or pre-Columbian imagery of Latin America.’
- ‘The Incas of Peru were one of the most advanced civilizations in pre-Columbian America, rivalled only by the Mayans and the Aztecs of Mesoamerica.’
- ‘In many of the pre-Columbian and North American cultures (from Hopi to Inca) gemstones were admired for their physical properties as well.’
- ‘The beginning emphasizes the pre-Columbian presence of multiple and complex cultures by referring to the creation stories of the Toltecs, the Aztecs, the Menomini, and many others.’
- ‘Stepped-pyramid structures were also built as bases for temples in pre-Columbian Central America.’
- ‘Today's scholars need not be embarrassed that earlier scholars doubted the notion of pre-Columbian Viking journeys to America many years after many nonexperts accepted it.’
- ‘Asian and African civilizations and the pre-Columbian Americas have produced a number of hierarchically structured suzerain systems of considerable longevity.’
- ‘While it is known that pre-Columbian peoples of North America used fire as a tool to manage natural resources, scientists have long debated the impact of this usage of fire on the landscape.’
- ‘The Central American sites are all pre-Columbian and are all below the sample average in terms of the overall health index.’
- ‘What is it about the pre-Columbian cultures, and particularly the Aztecs, that so fascinates us?’
- ‘Three Indian cultures lived in pre-Columbian Nicaragua, each living in a distinct region and speaking an indigenous tongue.’
- ‘The grandeur of pre-Columbian Indian culture was incorporated into the national imagery.’
- ‘The first, land-based form of empire, however, is by far older, and has been created by more varied kinds of people: Asians, Africans, and pre-Columbian Americans as well as Europeans.’
- ‘I integrate diverse elements from pre-Columbian mythology, Western religious iconography, and American popular culture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.