Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to a time before Christ or the advent of Christianity.‘the pre-Christian world’
- ‘It is thought to have been used in pre-Christian religious rituals in many parts of Europe, including Britain in the time of the Druids.’
- ‘The writer advocates the re-emergence of paganism especially the pre-Christian Roman Saturnalia.’
- ‘We hear about pre-Christian religion, pagan beliefs, shamanistic rituals and healing drums, and the story is narrated in ambiguous and multivocal words and concepts.’
- ‘Chapter 3, on pre-Christian Egyptian monasticism, along with a paragraph on Sufi mysticism, is too sketchy and vague to be of much help.’
- ‘The indigenous pre-Buddhist, pre-Confucian, pre-Daoist, and pre-Christian religion of the Korean peninsula seems to have been shamanistic in nature.’
- ‘The South Koreans also have many newer religions that combine Christianity with native pre-Christian beliefs.’
- ‘In fact, the history of early Christianity would have been quite different without these pre-Christian religious beliefs.’
- ‘But saying that alone doesn't really help us; it merely takes us back to pre-Christian, Pantheistic naturalism.’
- ‘Historians and folklorists interested in tracing ‘pagan survivals’ from the pre-Christian into the Christian era have been especially inclined to this approach.’
- ‘Did such a spiritual tradition exist within the pre-Christian religions of Europe?’
- ‘She not only gives us a sense of village life but in the process reconstructs its ancient, pre-Christian roots.’
- ‘With the exception of a very few cultures with any semblance of a written language system, oral history is the main basis in which pre-Christian history is preserved.’
- ‘Thus, we may say of Paul that he thought of himself as under a curse in his pre-Christian state.’
- ‘If Paul, when first in Galatia, had already made known his past to his recruits, there would have been little reason for him further to defend his pre-Christian career in the letter before us.’
- ‘Would it have been possible to formulate the basic Christian doctrines without the hellenic tradition, itself pre-Christian?’
- ‘Some scholars believe it is possible to trace the region's devotion to the Virgin Mary to the mother goddesses of pre-Christian religions.’
- ‘They regard Satan as a pre-Christian concept, representing pleasure, virility, and strength.’
- ‘Their pre-Christian religion could be described as animism - the belief that everything is alive with natural or supernatural spirits.’
- ‘Both represent a symbiosis of Orthodox Christian and pre-Christian belief systems.’
- ‘Nor can it be gainsaid that Goddess worship was an aspect of pre-Christian religion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.