One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An informal religious gathering or service during which prayers are offered.
- ‘We're going to personally invite a lot of people to our prayer meeting.’
- ‘Eager to see my friend, I decided to go to the prayer meeting with him.’
- ‘About 120 people attended the prayer meeting, which was organized with little notice.’
- ‘In October last year we attending a prayer meeting of a national ministry in Branson, MO.’
- ‘Last Friday night we held the monthly prayer meeting at our church.’
- ‘Afterwards, Howie felt bad about disrupting the prayer meeting.’
- ‘King described an incident in Birmingham in 1963 in which protesters marched toward the city jail, intending to hold a prayer meeting.’
- ‘All members were thanked for their wonderful attendance at the parish prayer meeting in Peace in Christ, Kilkenny.’
- ‘By all accounts, there is going to be a bigger problem at the conclusion of the prayer meeting on Sunday.’
- ‘Almost every week for seven years, her home hosted a regular prayer meeting at which regulars attended faithfully.’
- ‘The members of the Irish band hold a prayer meeting to exorcise the demons.’
- ‘At least 150 members of the Amish community met at a home prayer meeting about 200 yards from the schoolhouse.’
- ‘About 10000 Jews gathered for a prayer meeting in Boro Park, Brooklyn, New York on Monday.’
- ‘The church was born in a prayer meeting.’
- ‘Meanwhile yesterday, the former president attended a prayer meeting at the Mackay Memorial Hospital.’
- ‘Last Wednesday, 3rd October, I was at the prayer meeting.’
- ‘In the Bible Belt, admitting your affinity for the slots could prompt a prayer meeting for your almighty soul.’
- ‘Protesters had apparently sought to sidestep the ban by calling the gathering on Sunday a prayer meeting, not a political gathering.’
- ‘A retired Anglican clergyman is facing prison in Zimbabwe for holding a street prayer meeting.’
- ‘In terms of our laws, they don't need to seek permission to have a prayer meeting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.