A marine crustacean that resembles a large shrimp.
- ‘Over the years we have bought lobsters, prawns, crabs and scallops on the shore outside the house, direct from the boats that landed them.’
- ‘Take a torch with you, because within the crevices you'll find loads of prawns, shrimps and the odd lobster.’
- ‘These included king crab, Phuket lobster, oysters, river prawns and yabbies.’
- ‘I was drawn to the king prawn trilussa - prawns in a white wine and rosemary sauce served on a large bed of rice.’
- ‘I get confused between giant prawns, crayfish and langoustine, but these were gigantic.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.