One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gregarious ground squirrel that lives in interconnected burrows that may cover many acres. It is native to the grasslands of North America.
- ‘For example, the prairie dog is a tremendous pest throughout the Western United States.’
- ‘A hawk hid under the potentilla bush and leaped suddenly on an overconfident prairie dog a little too far from its burrow.’
- ‘Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.’
- ‘The ferret's survival has forever been entwined with that of the prairie dog, a foot-tall rodent that makes up about 90 percent of the predator's diet.’
- ‘A current example is the black-tailed prairie dog, which has been reduced to less than one percent of its historic range of 100 million acres and is in grave danger of extinction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.