A large North American grouse found on the prairies, the male being noted for the display dance in which it inflates two orange neck pouches and makes a booming sound.
- ‘Cattle grazed the pastures where prairie hens, quail and coyote roamed.’
- ‘It's not, of course, made with real prairie chicken.’
- ‘There were the sheep, deer, grouse of some kind, some sort of prairie chicken in full peacock-like display, bald eagles, hawks, coyote and even some elk that I saw on the way home.’
- ‘Results for the prairie chicken indicated that a single vital rate consistently had greatest effect on population growth.’
- ‘Our larder… is helped out by prairie chicken, quail, and a very small amount of venison, each in its season.’