One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bodyguard of the Roman emperor.
- ‘Power is held by a strongman, surrounded by a praetorian guard.…’
- ‘He surrounded himself with a praetorian guard, chosen more for its loyalty and orthodoxy than visionary intelligence.’
- ‘Before his return Mucianus had reduced the praetorian guard, enlarged by Vitellius, to approximately its old size, and they were entrusted to Titus on his return.’
- ‘It's far worse than anything that occurred in the Roman empire, until the praetorian guard started to sell the principate.’
- ‘Around Blair, he has his own version of the no turning back group that formed a praetorian guard around Thatcher in the 1980s.’
praetorian guard/prəˈtôrēən ɡärd/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.