One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of large DNA viruses that cause smallpox and similar infectious diseases in vertebrates.
- ‘The vaccine is freeze-dried, live vaccinia virus, a poxvirus related to smallpox virus.’
- ‘He followed this achievement by showing how poxviruses express their genes and replicate their DNA in host cells.’
- ‘In the 1950s an introduced poxvirus decimated the European rabbit, the lynx's main prey.’
- ‘Like all viruses, poxviruses co-opt various cellular molecules and processes to enter a cell, replicate and then spread to uninfected cells.’
- ‘Bacteriophage is a tailed, double-stranded DNA virus that serves as an important model for assembly of large DNA viruses such as herpes and poxviruses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.