One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lack of ability, influence, or power.‘the feeling of powerlessness due to poverty’‘the minute I admitted powerlessness over my compulsion, I felt relief’
- ‘She turns her attention away from the commercial aspect, pointing towards the powerlessness that weather instills.’
- ‘Gangs of older boys acted out their feelings of powerlessness against younger, more vulnerable boys.’
- ‘His critique of landlord powerlessness rests on the belief that aristocratic rule and estate ownership are ends in themselves.’
- ‘The domination that she exerts over her students seems to be an obvious compensation for her powerlessness at home.’
- ‘Silence, pause, stillness, the impossibility of explanation: all suggest the powerlessness of narrative to fill the 'long blank'.’
- ‘She has stated the impossibility of bringing the presence of the parents into the present moment, the powerlessness of art to deliver such a presence.’
- ‘You have to dig awfully deep to get to the hurt and the pain and the powerlessness.’
- ‘The voice of powerlessness tells another kind of fiction: the illusion.’
- ‘She often writes about the powerlessness of women.’
- ‘Her resistance to Dracula derives from frustrating experiences of powerlessness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.