Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1informal A powerful egomaniac.‘record-industry powerheads’
2Any of various mechanical or electrical devices, including.
- ‘Depending on the machine size, a linear displacement transducer or linear encoder is integrated into the powerhead to measure stroke.’
- ‘But, with the recent imposition of a tariff, they announced that the cost of powerheads sold in the U.S. would increase by 91.6% to eliminate the alleged dumping advantage.’
- 2.1A submersible pump for an aquarium that creates current within a tank.
- 2.2A vacuum-cleaner attachment that houses an independent motor that drives a carpet-beating rotating brush.See also beater bar
- 2.3The internal combustion engine of an outboard motor.
- ‘While a final ruling in the outboard engine case is expected early next year, Commerce has imposed a preliminary 22.5% tariff on many Japanese outboard engines and powerheads.’
- 2.4The power unit of an automatic garage door opener.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.