Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The hierarchy that encompasses the most powerful people in an organization.‘inside the power structure of the American Catholic Church’
- ‘Moreover, it should be noted that the adoption of a primary system will exert a comprehensive influence on the composition, organization and the power structure of the political parties.’
- ‘But I think that he really took on a lot of the power structure…’
- ‘Next, to bypass existing centers higher up in the power structure, and to strengthen local level organizations and institutions, communication should preferably be horizontal.’
- ‘While arguments about what is possible within the power structure of the college will no doubt be raised, I would like to call for an investigation of broader possibilities for student government.’
- ‘The government says it is probing the power structure inside the jails and considering a plan which would move many of those in eastern prisons - where most of the hate crimes are committed - to western jails.’
- ‘Processes constitute a vital part of the power structure within an organization.’
- ‘A community leader provided an interesting recommendation as to what would effectively break the dependency of community organizations on the municipal power structure.’
- ‘As yet, these recent immigrants have played no part in the power structure - not being members of the fraternal organizations.’
- ‘When climate conditions were such that the sacred plants had to be imported, this created a big power structure in the hierarchy of spiritual society.’
- ‘The artist and the mystic can do a lot to encourage the personal experience of truth in beings - perhaps we can whet the appetite for truth in those that support and manipulate the current power structure.’
- ‘Positional power in the official power structure or hierarchy is relatively easy to find in an organization.’
- ‘Before buying into this draft, consider what it means to be forcibly enlisted into our military, an institution grounded in violence, discipline, and power structure.’
- ‘She may be a committed economic reformer who hopes to sweep out corruption, but she is perched atop a power structure that has been riddled with graft and now appears to be wracked by political infighting.’
- ‘The twelfth-century French nobility locks its sons and daughters into a power structure controlled by the patriarchal family and the hierarchical social structure.’
- ‘The narrative structures of the films, and the power structures represented in them, propose representations that interpellate both the real and the stereotypical.’
- ‘What's more, the management, accounting, and computer science majors are counting on the hierarchical corporate power structure to work in their favor upon graduation.’
- ‘This dynamic created a basic disconnect that allowed people within organizations that have a hierarchical power structure to seize undue authority and wield it under the guise of racial and cultural unity.’
- ‘Someone who's not inside the power structure can't know.’
- ‘As such, the game narratives are more like modern renditions of radical folk tales that question the explicit power structure by presenting an alternate structure.’
- ‘Therefore the military is the best example of a socially organized power structure.’
2The people in a power structure.‘there are certain natural leaders of the underclasses, and the power structure interprets what they do as a crime’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.