One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural power spectraPhysics
The distribution of the energy of a waveform among its different frequency components.
- ‘This provided an average value of the power spectrum at the frequency of the oscillator.’
- ‘The power spectrum emphasizes dominant frequencies of the signal whereas signal memory is emphasized by the autocorrelation.’
- ‘The spatial frequency and direction of any component in the power spectrum are given by the length and direction, respectively, of a vector from the origin to that point.’
- ‘We measured maximum frequency and minimum frequency of the fundamental harmonic of the call from spectrograms, and frequency of most energy from a power spectrum.’
- ‘The relative values of the different components in the Fourier power spectrum express the comparative contribution of those frequencies of variation to the total energy of the original function.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.