Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The amount of electrical power required for a particular device.‘a continuous power rating of 150 watts’
- ‘They're aimed in some cases at different markets and have a range of stated power ratings.’
- ‘To make a first crude estimate, I went around the house with a flashlight, crawling under desks to read the power ratings on nameplates.’
- ‘That power rating also affects the radio's battery life.’
- ‘The smelter complex will consist of two submerged arc furnaces with a power rating of 15 mega-watt each.’
- ‘He said: ‘Technically, their power rating is one tenth of a foot pound - which means that you could sneeze harder.’’
- ‘Moreover, an engine built and certified for a particular horsepower rating isn't intended to be able to withstand the additional loads of a higher power rating, and there's no simple conversion process.’
- ‘The diesel range now adds a 1.9-litre dCi 130 hp fitted with particle filter, making it one of the cleanest engines on the market for its power rating.’
- ‘It has a 500-watt input power rating and 150-mph survival wind rating.’
- ‘I note that you mercifully didn't choose to overtax our abilities by describing this power rating as ‘four 50-watt domestic lightbulbs’.’
- ‘The criterion for the amount of tax to be paid was the power rating of the car.’
- ‘Voltage across the diode will be that same 5.1 volts, so it acts to limit the 9 volt battery's power supply down to roughly 5 volts, which is the USB power rating.’
- ‘The authors also reported an overall diagnostic power rating of 0.91.’
- ‘A radio's power rating is represented in watts and determines the strength of the radio's signal and its range.’
- ‘You can select the package style, power rating, packaging (bulk, tape-and-reel, etc.), vendor, resistance, tolerance, or any combination.’
- ‘These devices record the frequency, duration and amplitude of wind over time, and the expected yields for wind plants of various power ratings on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis.’
- ‘‘The modification involves replacing a number of resistors with similar resistors that have twice the resistance, but the same size and power ratings as the originals,’ he said.’
- ‘I have been contacted by a number of my constituents who are concerned about the high power rating of some of the spotlights now fitted onto cars and the dangers these cause for other motorists.’
- ‘Today, there are a number of brands, power ratings and models available.’
- ‘If you go for the mid-section, his power rating can be adversely affected.’
- ‘The power rating of the battery is 1,250 watts per kilogram, more than a kilowatt in each kilogram module in the system.’
2A numerical representation of a sports team's strength for betting purposes.‘a 99 power rating and a home field edge of four points’
- ‘If we're fortunate enough to win our conference tournament and get a high enough power rating to stay out of the play-in, it might help us avoid having to play a top seed right away.’
- ‘Handicapping the ‘Big Dance’ is an art in itself, and the author shows you how to look at teams based on power ratings; offense; defense; difficulty of schedule.’
- ‘Never mind power ratings, spreads, home field advantage, and injury evaluations including who's quarterbacking this week - just show me the winner, you say.’
- ‘It was an interesting theory, and one still honored by a certain segment of bettors who don't like their handicapping too complicated with power ratings; home field advantage; the weather and motivation as factors to mull over carefully.’
- ‘Their woeful RPI rating of 242 through last Sunday was enough to drop the ACC's power rating to third, behind the Big 12.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.