One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of pop music characterized by a strong melody line, heavy use of guitars, and simple rhythm.
- ‘I hear a bit of 70's NYC punk in these guys filtered through the Strokes and the melodies of 80's power pop.’
- ‘I can see where power pop comes from.’
- ‘In between, we get punk rock, rough-and-tumble love songs, fuzzed-out power pop and even a surf-rock number.’
- ‘The music is Southern power pop with a dash of blues thrown in for good measure.’
- ‘Their power pop incorporates so many great influences that they never sound stale.’
- ‘The only reason I want to use the word power pop for Sloan is that they're too damn friendly for US success.’
- ‘All of these influences would manifest into Jonny's own unique style of power pop.’
- ‘What's the difference between power pop and pop-rock?’
- ‘His latest single is dancefloor-savvy power pop.’
- ‘But the power pop is just too infectious.’
- ‘The term power pop is, in itself, fairly insulting, suggesting brainless three-minute novelties.’
- ‘Scotland's Teenage Fanclub are the standard-bearers of modern power pop.’
- ‘From the Replacements to the Hang Ups, Minneapolis has long been a beacon for tuneful, crunchy power pop.’
- ‘Their look could be a described as militaristic, cartoon characters, but their sound is pure modern power pop.’
- ‘And on their major label debut, they get down to it with bright jangles of highly danceable power pop dusted with attitude-packed female vocals.’
- ‘The album is a genius blend of light rock and power pop.’
- ‘Beats For Beginners is a band that deals in floaty power pop reminiscent of the Shins with synth taped onto the ends.’
- ‘The track is far more power pop and far less celtic dance than their previous work.’
- ‘Actually, I think we're influenced by those genres, but we're not striving to be new wave or power pop.’
- ‘Power pop is alive and well in Australia it would seem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.