Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A style of pop music characterized by a strong melody line, heavy use of guitars, and simple rhythm.
- ‘Beats For Beginners is a band that deals in floaty power pop reminiscent of the Shins with synth taped onto the ends.’
- ‘Their power pop incorporates so many great influences that they never sound stale.’
- ‘From the Replacements to the Hang Ups, Minneapolis has long been a beacon for tuneful, crunchy power pop.’
- ‘The album is a genius blend of light rock and power pop.’
- ‘What's the difference between power pop and pop-rock?’
- ‘I hear a bit of 70's NYC punk in these guys filtered through the Strokes and the melodies of 80's power pop.’
- ‘The music is Southern power pop with a dash of blues thrown in for good measure.’
- ‘All of these influences would manifest into Jonny's own unique style of power pop.’
- ‘I can see where power pop comes from.’
- ‘Actually, I think we're influenced by those genres, but we're not striving to be new wave or power pop.’
- ‘In between, we get punk rock, rough-and-tumble love songs, fuzzed-out power pop and even a surf-rock number.’
- ‘Scotland's Teenage Fanclub are the standard-bearers of modern power pop.’
- ‘His latest single is dancefloor-savvy power pop.’
- ‘But the power pop is just too infectious.’
- ‘The only reason I want to use the word power pop for Sloan is that they're too damn friendly for US success.’
- ‘And on their major label debut, they get down to it with bright jangles of highly danceable power pop dusted with attitude-packed female vocals.’
- ‘Their look could be a described as militaristic, cartoon characters, but their sound is pure modern power pop.’
- ‘The term power pop is, in itself, fairly insulting, suggesting brainless three-minute novelties.’
- ‘The track is far more power pop and far less celtic dance than their previous work.’
- ‘Power pop is alive and well in Australia it would seem.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.