Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The authority to act for another person in specified or all legal or financial matters.
- ‘We've had conversations about her wishes; I have both financial and medical power of attorney for her, should it become necessary, and I'm the executor of her will as well.’
- ‘But she is in full command of her faculties and is quite adamant she does not want me to have power of attorney over her financial affairs - she can manage perfectly well, thank you.’
- ‘There, the wife was not involved in the company, she was not a company director, her husband was simply temporarily incapacitated and she had power of attorney.’
- ‘And that son has her enduring power of attorney.’
- ‘If he was told there was such a veto power or power of attorney, why did he not ask to see proof of same.’
- 1.1A legal document giving power of attorney to someone.
- ‘Sometimes, people will sign powers of attorney that are designed to last for only a specified amount of time or that are intended to be used for only a single purpose.’
- ‘This is also the time to update your wills and powers of attorney to take into account any changes in the tax and estate laws - or a life change like a move, marriage, divorce, birth of a child, etc.’
- ‘It's a too-common scenario that documents such as living wills, powers of attorney, and domestic-partnership registration are supposed to prevent.’
- ‘However, in the current legislative climate, we either have to be married or sign powers of attorney just to find out how one of us is going in hospital.’
- ‘You can create powers of attorney, legal contracts and the like, if you really need to.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.