Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short sleep taken during the working day in order to restore one's mental alertness.
- ‘As Dr White points out, even Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill took power naps.’
- ‘It's just sometimes you need to escape for a power nap.’
- ‘After a "power nap," she agrees to play with Scooter.’
- ‘The incident rate of very short naps (frequently termed power naps) in modern society may be on the rise.’
- ‘Find time for some yoga, a nature walk, a power nap, and some healthy meals.’
- ‘"If you can have power breakfasts and power lunches, why not power naps?"’
- ‘Perhaps one of the most interesting findings was the somewhat unexpected prevalence of power naps that were reported by both young men and women and middle-aged adults.’
- ‘We had a bit of a power nap when we got back to the hotel and we watched the brothers play in the doubles final at Wimbledon.’
- ‘A ten-minute ' power nap ' can leave you regenerated and relaxed.’
- ‘Bedding down by your desk may not be the answer, but using a room for a post-lunch power nap could work.’
- ‘So relaxed, or tired, was she that she settled down for a power nap, stretching out on the grass and resting her head on her kit bag.’
- ‘This compact Executive Hammock can help you indulge in a serious power nap.’
- ‘Body temperature falls to a daytime low in the early afternoon, making you feel sluggish - prime time for a power nap.’
- ‘After a power nap during French, I felt revitalized and had a new outlook on things.’
- ‘She looks like a private school headmistress awakening from a five-minute power nap.’
- ‘Clive, his face still damp, is soon catching a ten-minute "power nap" amidst the clutter.’
- ‘I think a mid evening power nap is the way forward.’
- ‘Sleep is the new 21st century status symbol, epitomised by the " power nap ".’
- ‘This difference is partially due to the number of participants in the current study who reported power naps that lasted less than 20 minutes.’
- ‘This is one of those 15 minute power naps they raved about on the time management course you sent me on.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.