One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An association of groups, especially nations, having a common interest and acting as a single political force.
- ‘What the Republic needs is to become a member of a political power block capable of protecting the Celtic Tiger.’
- ‘It has spawned a new power bloc, made up of faceless fund managers and large multinationals who are ideologically unsympathetic to egalitarian policies.’
- ‘It sounds to me like geopolitical manoeuvring rather than the formation of an active power bloc.’
- ‘The resulting power bloc produced systems of political transformism and economic protectionism that corrupted parliamentary life and distorted industrial development.’
- ‘No single nation could survive in today's world without being part of a power block.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.