Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person or organization that exerts authority or influence without having formal status.
- ‘The fact that the stars and bars is only an illusion for the real power behind the throne could ruin their psyche and crash their egos.’
- ‘He is widely acknowledged as the real power behind the throne.’
- ‘His performance revealed how formidable he is as the power behind the throne and how inadequate as a public man.’
- ‘They are the great untapped source of power for aspiring politicians, the potential power behind the throne.’
- ‘Murray, still the power behind the throne with a 66% stake in the club, was a brash showman.’
- ‘It was far removed from the image of the power behind the throne, the profligate fashionista with a passion for dabbling in horoscopes to schedule presidential events.’
- ‘But to say that such people are the power behind the throne in the current administration is absurdity of a high order.’
- ‘Successive coaches were perceived as the being the powers behind the throne, but the club grew stronger after each departed.’
- ‘That of course gets the political tongues wagging in terms of this issue of how people rate his power and influence, and whether he is the power behind the throne.’
- ‘But there was always a suspicion that he remained the power behind the throne - and, on Friday, he admitted he was still the security adviser.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.