One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A policy agreed between political parties or within a coalition to share responsibility for decision-making and political action.
- ‘In selecting new cabinet members, a focus will be on power-sharing among the various ethnic tribes.’
- ‘It doesn't bear inspection: it's ludicrous, an impossible route to power-sharing.’
- ‘Still, no one yet claims the right formula for genuine power-sharing at the top of global enterprises.’
- ‘The precise details of their power-sharing were left vague.’
- ‘His major concern is to strengthen his position and that of his clique in the French-orchestrated power-sharing deal.’
- ‘Together, the four new vice presidents form a major part of the new power-sharing government, agreed to in December.’
- ‘There now began an experiment in power-sharing, or cohabitation.’
- ‘Yet power-sharing with a force that was operating outside the democratic process violated the purpose and spirit of democratisation.’
- ‘I will deeply regret it if they pull out of power-sharing.’
- ‘The supreme law enshrined multi-racial power-sharing in Fiji's government.’
- ‘This power-sharing agreement sought to include all the main strands of Loyalist and Nationalist opinion in the executive.’
- ‘Even their defenders in the British establishment have indicated that it is time to abandon opposition to power-sharing.’
- ‘Otherwise the political savvy and power-sharing successes of the new government will be for naught.’
- ‘But the community model values power-sharing for its own sake.’
- ‘Some member states have more experience than Britain of power-sharing and federalism.’
- ‘They included accepting Labour as having majority rule, having an equal make-up of different parties on the cabinet or even power-sharing.’
- ‘A further report is due in January, and both governments hope a positive verdict will pave the way for power-sharing to resume.’
- ‘The negotiations are the latest attempt by the British and Irish governments to restore power-sharing.’
- ‘Intrinsic to this philosophy of power-sharing was an ‘us and them’ approach.’
- ‘The party earlier won power-sharing deals with the Liberals and the split among its rivals has increased its leverage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.