One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A policy agreed between political parties or within a coalition to share responsibility for decision-making and political action.
- ‘This power-sharing agreement sought to include all the main strands of Loyalist and Nationalist opinion in the executive.’
- ‘His major concern is to strengthen his position and that of his clique in the French-orchestrated power-sharing deal.’
- ‘The supreme law enshrined multi-racial power-sharing in Fiji's government.’
- ‘But the community model values power-sharing for its own sake.’
- ‘In selecting new cabinet members, a focus will be on power-sharing among the various ethnic tribes.’
- ‘I will deeply regret it if they pull out of power-sharing.’
- ‘A further report is due in January, and both governments hope a positive verdict will pave the way for power-sharing to resume.’
- ‘Even their defenders in the British establishment have indicated that it is time to abandon opposition to power-sharing.’
- ‘Otherwise the political savvy and power-sharing successes of the new government will be for naught.’
- ‘There now began an experiment in power-sharing, or cohabitation.’
- ‘It doesn't bear inspection: it's ludicrous, an impossible route to power-sharing.’
- ‘Intrinsic to this philosophy of power-sharing was an ‘us and them’ approach.’
- ‘Yet power-sharing with a force that was operating outside the democratic process violated the purpose and spirit of democratisation.’
- ‘The negotiations are the latest attempt by the British and Irish governments to restore power-sharing.’
- ‘The party earlier won power-sharing deals with the Liberals and the split among its rivals has increased its leverage.’
- ‘They included accepting Labour as having majority rule, having an equal make-up of different parties on the cabinet or even power-sharing.’
- ‘The precise details of their power-sharing were left vague.’
- ‘Some member states have more experience than Britain of power-sharing and federalism.’
- ‘Together, the four new vice presidents form a major part of the new power-sharing government, agreed to in December.’
- ‘Still, no one yet claims the right formula for genuine power-sharing at the top of global enterprises.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.