One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Finely powdered sugar used to make icing.
- ‘Dust both sides of puff pastry with powdered sugar, reserving excess powdered sugar.’
- ‘My fickle midwestern mother-in-law broke into loud ululations over the cherry strudel, with its vanilla ice cream and dusting of powdered sugar.’
- ‘She was putting the powdered sugar on the toast when she had a handful of it thrown at her.’
- ‘You take a bite of the high, fluffy waffle and its discreet dusting of powdered sugar with maybe a little hot syrup from the serve-yourself vat at the back of the room.’
- ‘I did omit the powdered sugar, and instead topped mine with my fave: maple syrup.’
- ‘Pour the hot mixture over the powdered sugar and vanilla, beat rapidly and drizzle over the cake.’
- ‘Top with powdered sugar, whipped cream, syrup, fruit or Gruyere cheese.’
- ‘It consisted of peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt.’
- ‘In one bowl, place the 15 g of butter, the peanut butter, the brown sugar and the powdered sugar.’
- ‘Luckily, I was able to get the powdered sugar all cleaned up before that happened.’
- ‘Grind together the powdered sugar with the almond powder and cocoa so there are no lumps; use a blender or food processor since almond meal that you buy isn't quite fine enough.’
- ‘Pinching off little mounds of the fruit-nut mixture, shape them into 1-inch balls, roll each ball lightly in powdered sugar to coat, and place them on a baking sheet.’
- ‘It involves a double boiler, egg whites, my handheld electric mixer and a huge mountain of powdered sugar.’
- ‘Then there was the obligatory gooey, melting chocolate dish, imaginatively packaged here in little purses of phyllo and dusted with powdered sugar.’
- ‘In a large mixing bowl, stir the powdered sugar and vanilla extract into the Devonshire cream.’
- ‘Dust plate with powdered sugar and cocoa powder and add poached apple.’
- ‘It's just powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and some milk.’
- ‘Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and place in the oven to bake for five minutes.’
- ‘Cream the butter, then gradually add the powdered sugar and remaining ingredients.’
- ‘More powdered sugar may be needed with frosting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.