One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Finely powdered sugar used to make icing.
- ‘Dust plate with powdered sugar and cocoa powder and add poached apple.’
- ‘It's just powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and some milk.’
- ‘Dust both sides of puff pastry with powdered sugar, reserving excess powdered sugar.’
- ‘In one bowl, place the 15 g of butter, the peanut butter, the brown sugar and the powdered sugar.’
- ‘She was putting the powdered sugar on the toast when she had a handful of it thrown at her.’
- ‘It consisted of peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt.’
- ‘Pinching off little mounds of the fruit-nut mixture, shape them into 1-inch balls, roll each ball lightly in powdered sugar to coat, and place them on a baking sheet.’
- ‘Grind together the powdered sugar with the almond powder and cocoa so there are no lumps; use a blender or food processor since almond meal that you buy isn't quite fine enough.’
- ‘It involves a double boiler, egg whites, my handheld electric mixer and a huge mountain of powdered sugar.’
- ‘Top with powdered sugar, whipped cream, syrup, fruit or Gruyere cheese.’
- ‘In a large mixing bowl, stir the powdered sugar and vanilla extract into the Devonshire cream.’
- ‘Luckily, I was able to get the powdered sugar all cleaned up before that happened.’
- ‘Pour the hot mixture over the powdered sugar and vanilla, beat rapidly and drizzle over the cake.’
- ‘You take a bite of the high, fluffy waffle and its discreet dusting of powdered sugar with maybe a little hot syrup from the serve-yourself vat at the back of the room.’
- ‘Cream the butter, then gradually add the powdered sugar and remaining ingredients.’
- ‘Then there was the obligatory gooey, melting chocolate dish, imaginatively packaged here in little purses of phyllo and dusted with powdered sugar.’
- ‘I did omit the powdered sugar, and instead topped mine with my fave: maple syrup.’
- ‘More powdered sugar may be needed with frosting.’
- ‘My fickle midwestern mother-in-law broke into loud ululations over the cherry strudel, with its vanilla ice cream and dusting of powdered sugar.’
- ‘Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and place in the oven to bake for five minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.