One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft pad for applying powder to the skin, especially the face.
- ‘Applicators - sponges, brushes, powder puffs - pose the greatest risk of common contamination because they can harbor bacteria, dirt and oil from your skin.’
- ‘Tonalities of white and pink dominate the composition: the delicate pallor of her alabaster skin and the rosiness of her cheeks and lips are variously echoed in her gown and mantle, the cameo, tablecloth, and powder puff.’
- ‘She tries in vain to reverse what is happening through the use of face powder and a powder puff, but with the knowledge that nothing can be done.’
- ‘Not that the ad dwells on whatever it was he did, because too much chatter would distract from the footage of a younger, hipper Senate candidate massaging another man's face and applying powder with a pink powder puff.’
- ‘I prefer to think of it as a miniature powder-puff, essentially feminine and quite irresistible.’
- ‘A powder puff would then gently be dabbed on her face to even out any creases or blotches.’
- ‘It looks like a giant's white powder puff that when cut reveals a smooth, pale cheese with an aroma that hints of lemon, milk and freshly mown grass.’
- ‘It was funny watching Mr Tough Guy pat his face with this little powder puff, but I didn't dare tease him.’
- ‘‘But melting makeup and shine don't mean you should be a slave to a powder puff,’ she adds.’
- ‘The final touch to Laura's ensemble is two handkerchief-wrapped powder puffs stuffed in the bosom of her dress to improve her bust line.’
- ‘Prepare to be amazed as Jeanne's creations mix traditional and non-traditional materials including powder puffs, hair clips and face masks.’
- ‘Before doing anything else, she dabs her T-zone (forehead, nose and chin) with loose powder, using a large powder puff to pick up excess moisture.’
1US (of sports) played by women or girls only.‘a fifth grade powder-puff football game’
- ‘The students involved in the powder puff football incident in Illinois clearly violated the school's hazing policy, even though the activities occurred off-campus.’
- ‘The hazing took place off campus and grew out of powder puff football matches that were previously held at the school but discontinued in the late 1970s because they became too rough.’
2informal (of a person or thing) ineffectual.‘a powder-puff hitter’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.