One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Weight, especially when regarded as excessive.‘reduce excess poundage without risking overexertion’
heaviness, mass, load, burden, pressure, forceView synonyms
- ‘With two of the Majors being played in sweltering heat each summer his excess poundage indicts him every time.’
- ‘Go to try and undo the damage before my body gets too accustomed to the excess poundage in all the wrong places.’
- ‘They strike the bait with such power when they leap into the air that a strong line is an absolute must since a billfish of that caliber and poundage can make a line with an 80 pound breaking sprain seem like thread under all that pressure.’
- ‘All the diets seemed safe and all produced weight loss, although there were no huge drops in poundage.’
- ‘The Husband is certain I will have to pay extra for the poundage.’
- ‘After five minutes of stepping, go directly to the bench and perform one set of flat bench press for ten reps; use an appropriate poundage on the barbell.’
- ‘Here's the simple truth: I have that hard look not because I possess encyclopedic knowledge of diet foods, and not because I've figured out the perfect number of exercises, sets, reps and poundages.’
- ‘Several of the contingent are carrying excess poundage following the Christmas festivities which included a four-week gap from competition.’
- ‘‘Today, the same poundage caught by sportfishermen represents a very high percentage of the total,’ he points out.’
- ‘Forage fish (bluegill and redear sunfish) should furnish more than 75 percent of the poundage of fish taken from your pond.’
- ‘The shock comes when examining the dizzying lifts and the resultant poundage totals the duo has achieved.’
- ‘Remember, these bodybuilding greats took a long time to build up to those weights, but they kept adding poundage.’
- ‘It appears that you're overly focused on the poundage you're moving.’
- ‘They relied on contractile force to move medium-heavy poundage.’
- ‘Any excess poundage can be got rid of on special festival walks and at the local sports day!’
- ‘How do you make your holiday that special treat without putting on the extra poundage?’
- ‘When your muscles tire, drop the poundage and squeeze out another 6-8 reps.’
- ‘Lifting the correct poundage will reflect maturity in your training.’
- ‘List all exercises performed, including the total number of sets and repetitions for each and poundages per lift.’
- ‘Essentially, you suffer a decrease in strength, your training poundages drop and your muscles get less stimulation, which leads to muscle loss.’
2British A payment of a particular amount per pound sterling of the sum involved in a transaction.
- ‘He sifts through his papers again to repeat the agreement on business rates which commits the Executive to the current freeze on the rate poundage and increases over the next two years limited to no more than inflation.’
- ‘The government should also restore a uniform business rate poundage across the UK and sort out profligate local councils - we have some of the highest council taxes in the land in Glasgow and Edinburgh but probably the worst services.’
- ‘But the business community still argues that firms are penalised in Scotland because business rate poundage is 4p higher than in England.’
- ‘He also attacked business rates which he said were also a ‘stumbling block to positioning Scotland as a truly good place to do business’ as the rate poundage was significantly higher than in England.’
- ‘The rate poundage is likely to be cut, giving an impression that business is getting something back.’
- 2.1 A percentage of the total earnings of a business, paid as wages.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.