One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coin worth one British pound sterling.
- ‘I had a few coins, one of which was a pound coin with which to pay the £1.00 fare.’
- ‘The Bank of England pound note ceased to be legal tender at midnight, and was replaced by the pound coin.’
- ‘The Scottish pound note, which survived the introduction of the pound coin while its English counterpart became extinct, is at the centre of a mystery.’
- ‘But despite that distinctly shaky start, today the pound coin celebrates its 21st anniversary stronger than ever, as an integral part of British life.’
- ‘Matt reached into his pocket and handed over a pound coin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.