One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coin worth one British pound sterling.
- ‘The Bank of England pound note ceased to be legal tender at midnight, and was replaced by the pound coin.’
- ‘The Scottish pound note, which survived the introduction of the pound coin while its English counterpart became extinct, is at the centre of a mystery.’
- ‘Matt reached into his pocket and handed over a pound coin.’
- ‘I had a few coins, one of which was a pound coin with which to pay the £1.00 fare.’
- ‘But despite that distinctly shaky start, today the pound coin celebrates its 21st anniversary stronger than ever, as an integral part of British life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.