One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Domestic fowl, such as chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese.
- ‘Frozen turkeys or other poultry must always be thawed fully before cooking.’
- ‘Half of that number are cow dairies and the other half raise beef cattle, poultry, goats, and sheep.’
- ‘There's lots of fish and seafood to be had, as well as a selection of poultry and red meat.’
- ‘The scheme now being introduced is a comprehensive one covering all farm animals and poultry.’
- ‘The poultry industry is backing the importance of good hygiene in the kitchen.’
- ‘Diseased and other poultry on the Infected Premises will be slaughtered quickly.’
- ‘If horses and poultry live on these holdings, they can also be included in the collection scheme.’
- ‘It would then be the duty of every owner and every person in charge of poultry in that area to comply with that notice.’
- ‘He added that there was also evidence that playing certain music reduced stress within poultry as well.’
- ‘I love the fact that I can feed my family on our own home-grown pork, beef, lamb and poultry.’
- ‘These included not only the normal range of meat joints and poultry, but also whole cattle and sheep.’
- ‘More than one million poultry have been culled since the start of the year in a bid to stem the spread of the disease.’
- ‘If poultry are secured and lambing is done indoors, that would remove a food source for the foxes.’
- ‘There are many pure breeds of poultry in the UK, some of which are quite rare.’
- ‘Specific arrangements may need to be put in place for poultry, horses, fish and exotic livestock.’
- ‘If a farmer wants to take a basket of poultry or a goat or two to the market, the bus company will be kind enough to help.’
- ‘Shanghai is the main consumer of livestock and poultry in the Yangtze River Delta.’
- ‘Among the competitors were classes of cattle, sheep and poultry judged by the region's animal experts.’
- ‘She milked the cows, reared poultry, made the butter and undertook a host of other chores.’
- ‘The authorities are also conducting tests on dead domestic poultry found in another area of the capital.’
- 1.1 The flesh of chickens and other domestic fowl as food.‘I haven't eaten red meat for 19 years and poultry for 12 years’‘raw or cooked meat and poultry’‘anyone handling raw poultry should wash their hands thoroughly’
Middle English: from Old French pouletrie, from poulet ‘pullet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.