One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Domestic fowl, such as chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese.
- ‘Diseased and other poultry on the Infected Premises will be slaughtered quickly.’
- ‘If horses and poultry live on these holdings, they can also be included in the collection scheme.’
- ‘If a farmer wants to take a basket of poultry or a goat or two to the market, the bus company will be kind enough to help.’
- ‘He added that there was also evidence that playing certain music reduced stress within poultry as well.’
- ‘The poultry industry is backing the importance of good hygiene in the kitchen.’
- ‘Half of that number are cow dairies and the other half raise beef cattle, poultry, goats, and sheep.’
- ‘She milked the cows, reared poultry, made the butter and undertook a host of other chores.’
- ‘I love the fact that I can feed my family on our own home-grown pork, beef, lamb and poultry.’
- ‘If poultry are secured and lambing is done indoors, that would remove a food source for the foxes.’
- ‘The scheme now being introduced is a comprehensive one covering all farm animals and poultry.’
- ‘More than one million poultry have been culled since the start of the year in a bid to stem the spread of the disease.’
- ‘The authorities are also conducting tests on dead domestic poultry found in another area of the capital.’
- ‘There are many pure breeds of poultry in the UK, some of which are quite rare.’
- ‘Shanghai is the main consumer of livestock and poultry in the Yangtze River Delta.’
- ‘Specific arrangements may need to be put in place for poultry, horses, fish and exotic livestock.’
- ‘It would then be the duty of every owner and every person in charge of poultry in that area to comply with that notice.’
- ‘Frozen turkeys or other poultry must always be thawed fully before cooking.’
- ‘Among the competitors were classes of cattle, sheep and poultry judged by the region's animal experts.’
- ‘These included not only the normal range of meat joints and poultry, but also whole cattle and sheep.’
- ‘There's lots of fish and seafood to be had, as well as a selection of poultry and red meat.’
- 1.1 The flesh of chickens and other domestic fowl as food.‘I haven't eaten red meat for 19 years and poultry for 12 years’‘raw or cooked meat and poultry’‘anyone handling raw poultry should wash their hands thoroughly’
Middle English: from Old French pouletrie, from poulet ‘pullet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.