One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Train (a small child) to use a potty.
- ‘Research has shown that the average child will get through around 5000 nappies before they are potty-trained.’
- ‘Jade learned to swim, and she was potty-trained.’
- ‘It's important not to punish potty-training children or show disappointment when they wet or soil themselves or the bed.’
- ‘Parenting magazines tend to paint a fairly optimistic image of parenthood, tending to concentrate on the events and stages - first tooth, illnesses, potty-training etc.’
- ‘A potty-trained child may begin wetting the bed or having accidents.’
- ‘So not being potty-trained puts a person at the top of her list?’
- ‘The average child goes through 8,000 diaper changes before being potty-trained; at 25 cents a diaper, that adds up to $2,000.’
- ‘When Karen's daughter Julia was 18 months old she was an affable toddler, who chattered away and was already potty-trained.’
- ‘She potty-trained my oldest with ease; rescuing him from futility by having to sit down to pee.’
- ‘His potty-training problems were worked out within weeks.’
- ‘Also worth looking out for are novelty chamber pots often made in the form of animals which were designed to potty-train small children.’
- ‘Rebecca had known Bryan before she was even potty-trained, for Christ's sake, and the last thing she wanted to do was ruin such an old, strong friendship.’
- ‘Even children who are potty-trained quickly are in nappies for a minimum two years.’
- ‘Some parents try desperately to potty-train their children much too young, and may think not only that they have succeeded, but also that they, the parents, have made a great achievement.’
- ‘D. potty-trained me; she posted our drawings and paintings up on the walls of her living room; I learned to read at her house.’
- ‘You could also try giving them a refresher potty-training course.’
- ‘Hope had finally potty-trained him a few years ago, but she still had to go into the bathroom with him, fearing that something would go wrong if he went by himself.’
- ‘A child when it's potty-trained learns to be disgusted by poo.’
- ‘The baby twins are beginning to get the potty-training idea too.’
- ‘Oh, the hilarity when it's revealed that he can't even potty-train his own son!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.