One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The increase in strength of nerve impulses along pathways which have been used previously, either short-term or long-term.
- ‘Exposure to ozone causes acute changes in lung function, neutrophil infiltration, cytokine release, and potentiation of allergen-induced bronchoconstriction.’
- ‘Researchers believe these synaptic changes, called long-term potentiation or LTP, are the basis for learning in the brain.’
- ‘Much is now known about the molecular basis of this phenomenon, called long-term potentiation.’
- ‘We hypothesized that in these patients theophylline, a drug that stabilizes breathing, may affect short-term potentiation.’
- ‘This increased strength, termed long-term potentiation, can be, despite its name, relatively short-lived.’
- ‘And he can see in a normal animal a process when you fire nerves over and over again, they sort of step up and have more power each time they fire, it's called long term potentiation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.