One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book, painting, or recording produced merely to make the writer or artist a living by catering to popular taste.
- ‘Already listed in his CV are such early potboilers as a novel linked to the New Avengers TV series.’
- ‘Monet might have had to turn out potboilers but Degas, a man of independent means, never had to paint to pay for his supper.’
- ‘He learnt Italian in order to research the book, written in the style of a detective potboiler.’
- ‘He could easily have checked his facts, but did not bother to because so far as he was concerned the Holmes stories were potboilers.’
- ‘It is not one of the usual Bollywood masala potboilers; it is an Indian film with just the right amount of spice and garnish that emerges as a real treat.’
- ‘It topped the Publishers Weekly annual bestseller list that year and was turned into a Hollywood potboiler (starring Jean Simmons and Victor Mature) in 1954.’
- ‘Is she publishing those stories, those potboilers about her love and madness?’
- ‘Indian films are everywhere, and not just the potboilers.’
- ‘Thirdly, and not least importantly, the novel lives up to the advertisement of being a potboiler and not just another placid semi-documentary history of the Kashmir imbroglio.’
- ‘Here was an unserious, part-time author having it all and more for a potboiler!’
- ‘They may as well have called it deep six, because the film plummeted into a predictable pastiche of previous potboilers.’
- ‘Meanwhile, his twin brother Donald is writing his own screenplay, a shameless potboiler that has no pretensions of art, but every intention of wealth.’
- ‘Are we to compete with the Western potboilers flooding the Indian market?’
- ‘The material from the two Faust treatments is perhaps less convincing, and Berlioz's arrangement of The Marseillaise at the end the disc is an unnecessary potboiler.’
- ‘As art, it was essentially a potboiler, refusing any commerce with physical or psychological detail.’
- ‘A make-belief potboiler, the film has grossed over a crore in a week.’
- ‘It's a fast paced film with a solid screenplay, a masala potboiler.’
- ‘As for the story, it is a potboiler in the tradition of the best film noir.’
- ‘Patel, known for playing the mushy girlfriend in romantic potboilers, said the complaint had been made by airline staff to save themselves.’
- ‘There have been not one but two cinematic political potboilers to hit the silver screen in the past year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.