Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small flat cake of grated potatoes mixed with flour and egg and fried.
- ‘He didn't want her to worry, and he didn't want the dietary regime she might impose, one that would exclude peanuts, potato pancakes, and his nightly six-pack of beer.’
- ‘Start with potato pancakes, borscht, dumplings and crepes.’
- ‘Whether it's a piece of sushi, a good steak or a potato pancake, the simpler the dish, the more critical the skill.’
- ‘Among the large variety of pancakes, potato pancakes form a separate category.’
- ‘Whether you're making our potato pancakes or old-fashioned hash browns, one of the keys is to shred the spuds to the right consistency.’
- ‘Can I have an order of potato pancakes and coffee?’
- ‘The potato pancakes are served with sour cream and a tasty fruit compote, though the two relatively small latkes aren't really enough to fully satisfy; three would be perfect.’
- ‘The potato pancake was nicely browned and served as a sponge for the toppings of just-wilted spinach, slices of pink-as-a-tongue ham and a perfectly poached egg, just oozing yellow loveliness.’
- ‘Polish Americans have, in addition to the sausage, also contributed staples to American cuisine, including the breakfast roll, bialys, the babka coffeecake, and potato pancakes.’
- ‘Slice the smoked eel and arrange it on top of the warm potato pancakes.’
- ‘Next week, I will share my secrets to making omelettes and potato pancakes.’
- ‘They had roasted meats and we had greasy potato pancakes.’
- ‘Perhaps more familiar are placki, a delectable fried potato pancake, and incredibly fresh pierogis filled with meat and potatoes.’
- ‘The potato pancake blanketing the platter is half dough, half hash brown.’
- ‘I was rather taken with the herb and potato pancake, topped with homemade tartare sauce and smoked salmon.’
- ‘Today that selection was a smoked salmon tower with potato pancakes and poached eggs and string beans.’
- ‘The proposed new chain would also serve greasy sausage and fried mashed potato pancakes.’
- ‘The recipe I have created is a combination of the potato kyufte and the potato pancake.’
- ‘Latke is a potato pancake (sometimes described as a fritter) of Jewish cuisine, made from a mixture of raw grated and cooked mashed potatoes.’
- ‘In the dining hall the next morning, the children ate pancakes and potato pancakes and bacon.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.