One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strongly alkaline white deliquescent compound used in many industrial processes, e.g. soap manufacture.
- ‘The list includes sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, caustic chemicals that will rip the skin off your fingers and the lining from the throat.’
- ‘Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.’
- ‘Platinum also dissolves in hot alkalis such as hot sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.’
- ‘He isolated potassium, another well known alkali metal, from potassium hydroxide in the same year.’
- ‘Sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide are used when greater alkalinity is required, but care must be taken when handling them as they are quite caustic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.