A strongly alkaline white deliquescent compound used in many industrial processes, e.g., soap manufacture.
- ‘Platinum also dissolves in hot alkalis such as hot sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.’
- ‘Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.’
- ‘The list includes sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, caustic chemicals that will rip the skin off your fingers and the lining from the throat.’
- ‘He isolated potassium, another well known alkali metal, from potassium hydroxide in the same year.’
- ‘Sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide are used when greater alkalinity is required, but care must be taken when handling them as they are quite caustic.’