One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who postulates something.
2A person who presents a case for the canonization or beatification of someone in the Roman Catholic Church.
- ‘A Vatican official, called a relator, works with the postulator to produce a positio, an extensive written statement, which is presented to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints in Rome.’
- ‘As he must, the promoter deals with objections and reservations raised by the postulators and censors.’
- ‘He was the postulator for Newman's cause in Rome, and Newman was declared a fit subject for canonization in 1991.’
- ‘And in harmony with many of the postulators, he points to Catherine as a figure in contrast with the church he now rules: ‘What did she understand by renewal and reform of the church?’’
- ‘He was a Mexican priest who had been appointed vice postulator of the Causes for the Beatification of the two young Fatima visionaries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.