Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1During or relating to the period after dinner or lunch.‘we were jolted from our postprandial torpor’
- ‘I'm sure I am not alone in finding that extra-thick part at the base of a chocolate egg far too much for a child's delicate palate, and just right for a postprandial petit-four.’
- ‘These data suggest that gene-diet interactions are important for handling of lipoproteins in the postprandial period.’
- ‘Along with a couple of beers and a postprandial Metaxa and coffee, our bill came to a total of 28 leva, including a few leva for a tip.’
- ‘This, whispers Her Ladyship, is where Her Majesty the Queen brings her most distinguished dinner guests for their postprandial entertainment.’
- ‘He was a man of routine and having dined with his elder son, Robert, he retired as usual for his postprandial nap - only last Monday he did not wake up.’
- 1.1Medicine Occurring after a meal.
- ‘Regular insulin must be injected 30 to 60 minutes before the meal to match postprandial glucose influx.’
- ‘Psyllium incorporated into foods, such as pasta, and isolated psyllium when added to a test meal has been shown to reduce postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations.’
- ‘In patients who required insulin therapy during pregnancy, it is reasonable to check fasting and two-hour postprandial glucose levels before hospital discharge.’
- ‘The glycemic index of a carbohydrate is a measure of its postprandial effect on blood glucose.’
- ‘After meals, when postprandial blood glucose levels are high, liver glucokinase is significantly active, which causes the liver preferentially to trap and to store circulating glucose.’
Early 19th century: from post- after + Latin prandium a meal + -al.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.