Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Occurring in or relating to the period after marriage.
- ‘For instance, adoption, surrogacy, foster parenting, and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements are in the first of four parts.’
- ‘They say it's no wonder that after marrying Lita he had her sign a postnuptial agreement limiting what he'd be required to pay in a divorce settlement.’
- ‘He received €1.5m in a postnuptial agreement, but spent every penny on his defence.’
- ‘It has been estimated that for one in ten new spouses, the anticlimax of married life is so severe it develops into what is known as postnuptial depression.’
- 1.1Zoology Occurring in or relating to the period after the mating season of an animal.
- ‘Pond-breeding urodeles, such as A. texanum, exhibit postnuptial gametogenesis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.