Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A late-20th-century style and concept in the arts, architecture, and criticism that represents a departure from modernism and has at its heart a general distrust of grand theories and ideologies as well as a problematical relationship with any notion of “art.”
- ‘Its broader presuppositions relate to those of art in the era of postmodernism.’
- ‘These ideas were our mental tools as we romped in the forest of first-growth postmodernism.’
- ‘Because we are the heirs of modernism and postmodernism.’
- ‘One way to get out of the ‘postmodernism’ hole is to think about postmodernity rather than postmodernism.’
- ‘In this she sees these artists as contributing to what was to become postmodernism.’
- ‘In the work of some virtual artists many characteristics of either modernism or postmodernism can be found.’
- ‘Indeed, this leads me to a major criticism of Foucault's postmodernism when applied to the media.’
- ‘The argument that the black novel anticipates postmodernism can also take a formalist turn.’
- ‘Modernism and postmodernism have made us more aware of the complexities of the art form.’
- ‘It's starting to look dated now, a product of the first wave of 1980s postmodernism.’
- ‘The works of these authors inhabit the domains of neo-realism, modernism, postmodernism and magical realism.’
- ‘I only make the kind of work I make because of the discourse of postmodernism and the time that I'm working in.’
- ‘A certain part of postmodernism has involved an attempt to get outside of history.’
- ‘Munck attacks the critics of postmodernism by calling them sociological reductionists.’
- ‘Thus has postmodernism helped close the gap between high art and low art.’
- ‘But this is based on the mistaken idea that modernism and postmodernism are sequential stages in history.’
- ‘In its extreme forms, postmodernism represents a celebration of choice and the triumph of style.’
- ‘There has been an increasingly unproductive debate on the difference between modernism and postmodernism.’
- ‘I do think we have to tackle the issue of relativism, of subjectivity, of all the modern isms including postmodernism.’
- ‘It is an excellent academic study of cultural criticism, especially postmodernism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.