One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the period since the last continental glaciation (the Wisconsin in North America), beginning with the sudden rise in temperature about 10,000 years ago.Compare with late-glacial
- ‘The earliest postglacial period in Japan, characterized by hunter-gatherer communities, conventionally divided into six main periods between 10000 and 300 BC.’
- ‘The widespread abundance of peatlands makes them valuable archives of past events for many periods in pre- and postglacial time and at differential spatial scales for most of Canada.’
- ‘He recognized that all of the beaches had been tilted by postglacial uplift (now attributed to isostatic rebound).’
- ‘For most Pacific islands, postglacial isostatic effects led to a relative highstand of five to eight feet in regional sea level during mid-Holocene time, peaking perhaps 4,000 years ago.’
- ‘Overburden soils include glacial and postglacial deposits and recent fill.’
- 1.1as noun the postglacial The postglacial period.
- ‘At a very generalized level, paleoenvironmental records for the Prairies concur in showing a broad three-part division of the postglacial.’
- ‘Each of these trends has also been present for most if not all of the current postglacial.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.