Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[with object] Treat (a biological substance or specimen) with a second fixative.
- ‘A portion of this specimen was postfixed in B - 5 fixative.’
- ‘The cells in these images were postfixed with osmium tetroxide.’
- ‘The tissue was subsequently postfixed in osmium tetroxide and embedded in epoxy resin.’
- ‘Cells were postfixed in 1% osmium tetroxide in 0.1 M cacodylate buffer for 50 min.’
- ‘In some cases the cells were postfixed for 90 min in a solution of 1% osmium tetroxide in PBS.’
rare Append as a suffix.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.