One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of numbers or letters and numbers which are added to a postal address to assist the sorting of mail.
- ‘Ask me what someone was wearing last night, yes but addresses and postcodes, Pah!’
- ‘They go beyond identifying particular postcodes and streets and actually colour-code individual houses.’
- ‘The recorded message then asks people to enter a postcode and house number, when they learn they have not won.’
- ‘The company identified 25 property postcodes that have ‘overheated’ in the past few years and now faced a ten per cent drop.’
- ‘There was no accompanying letter and the postcode was missed off the address.’
- ‘You type in your postcode and the site will create a form letter addressed to your MP, on to which you scribble your thoughts.’
- ‘A council spokesman said: ‘All forms were posted in September last year and we checked to make sure addressees and postcodes matched.’’
- ‘Using the postcode at birth we identified subjects living within 1 km of a transmission line.’
- ‘The review will not affect postal addresses, postcodes or the catchment area of schools.’
- ‘The erosion of the district's traditional identity began when postcodes were introduced, which slowly rendered the rural name of Cheam redundant.’
- ‘We could not adjust for deprivation as the ethical considerations meant that we were not allowed to extract strong patient identifiers, such as postcodes.’
- ‘You can check which postcodes are in areas covered by the ‘disadvantaged’ area rules on the Inland Revenue website - or call into any Inland Revenue enquiry office.’
- ‘They will only be available to people with a Burnley postcode until the end of next week when they will go on general sale.’
- ‘Companies therefore go to great lengths to ensure that people disclose their postcode.’
- ‘We will be putting postcodes on young people's phones so they are easier to trace if they are stolen.’
- ‘Six of the borough's 39 post offices have been shut or scheduled for closure, while Wandsworth postcodes came bottom for mail delivery times.’
- ‘I wonder why the post office always urges us, the public, to use postcodes, as the franking machines are geared to do, when they are so often ignored?’
- ‘It means that some people with postcodes which are in a flood risk area but whose individual homes are not at such a high risk, will get lower premiums.’
- ‘On poster sites throughout Glasgow are black billboards writ large with addresses and postcodes.’
- ‘The changes will not affect addresses or postcodes, but are for voting purposes only.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.