One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of numbers or letters and numbers which are added to a postal address to assist the sorting of mail.
- ‘The company identified 25 property postcodes that have ‘overheated’ in the past few years and now faced a ten per cent drop.’
- ‘The erosion of the district's traditional identity began when postcodes were introduced, which slowly rendered the rural name of Cheam redundant.’
- ‘The review will not affect postal addresses, postcodes or the catchment area of schools.’
- ‘You can check which postcodes are in areas covered by the ‘disadvantaged’ area rules on the Inland Revenue website - or call into any Inland Revenue enquiry office.’
- ‘I wonder why the post office always urges us, the public, to use postcodes, as the franking machines are geared to do, when they are so often ignored?’
- ‘A council spokesman said: ‘All forms were posted in September last year and we checked to make sure addressees and postcodes matched.’’
- ‘It means that some people with postcodes which are in a flood risk area but whose individual homes are not at such a high risk, will get lower premiums.’
- ‘Companies therefore go to great lengths to ensure that people disclose their postcode.’
- ‘You type in your postcode and the site will create a form letter addressed to your MP, on to which you scribble your thoughts.’
- ‘They will only be available to people with a Burnley postcode until the end of next week when they will go on general sale.’
- ‘On poster sites throughout Glasgow are black billboards writ large with addresses and postcodes.’
- ‘They go beyond identifying particular postcodes and streets and actually colour-code individual houses.’
- ‘Ask me what someone was wearing last night, yes but addresses and postcodes, Pah!’
- ‘We will be putting postcodes on young people's phones so they are easier to trace if they are stolen.’
- ‘The changes will not affect addresses or postcodes, but are for voting purposes only.’
- ‘There was no accompanying letter and the postcode was missed off the address.’
- ‘Using the postcode at birth we identified subjects living within 1 km of a transmission line.’
- ‘The recorded message then asks people to enter a postcode and house number, when they learn they have not won.’
- ‘Six of the borough's 39 post offices have been shut or scheduled for closure, while Wandsworth postcodes came bottom for mail delivery times.’
- ‘We could not adjust for deprivation as the ethical considerations meant that we were not allowed to extract strong patient identifiers, such as postcodes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.