Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small adhesive piece of paper of specified value issued by a postal authority to be affixed to a letter or parcel to indicate the amount of postage paid.
- ‘A microprocessor, as small as a postage stamp, performs thousands of calculations per second based on readings from the sensor.’
- ‘The Houdini postage stamp is now on sale, as I announced last week.’
- ‘Kelly first received official approval in 1980 when a postage stamp was issued to mark the centenary of his death.’
- ‘The breed was also honored on a postage stamp issued by Turkey in 1978.’
- ‘About 70,000 objects about the size of a postage stamp have been detected between 850-1,000 km above the Earth.’
- ‘The drawings are so dense with graphite and so sharply outlined against a larger white sheet that they appear to adhere to it like a postage stamp.’
- ‘The government has given the go ahead for the concept and draft design for a postage stamp pending further consultations with stakeholders.’
- ‘You'll save a postage stamp and also reduce your chances of overlooking this federal requirement.’
- ‘In 1982, a Bob Marley commemorative postage stamp was issued in Jamaica.’
- ‘Britain's first adhesive postage stamp, the Penny Black, had been launched just seven months earlier.’
- ‘But the thing that really annoys me is that people expect you to pay for all this period charm and bathrooms the size of a postage stamp.’
- ‘In addition, a Warhol postage stamp will be issued next year.’
- ‘Release all your hatred, all for the price of a postage stamp!’
- ‘Armadillo aficionados might be interested to know that Cambodia has issued a postage stamp to celebrate a prehistoric armadillo.’
- ‘Her name and likeness adorned a five-cent postage stamp issued March 10 of that year.’
- ‘Taking the quiz online will also save you the cost of a postage stamp.’
- ‘She has even had her face depicted on a Ugandan postage stamp!’
- ‘At this point, I am so sick of looking at it, I would publish it on a postage stamp if I could list that on my CV and reference it in my next paper.’
- ‘Ever since the first postage stamp, the Penny Black, was released, philately has enthralled both the young and the old.’
- ‘There will be a lucky dip, incorporating the elusive Penny Black, the world's first adhesive postage stamp.’
postage stamp/ˈpōstij stamp/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.