One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small adhesive piece of paper of specified value issued by a postal authority to be affixed to a letter or parcel to indicate the amount of postage paid.
- ‘Britain's first adhesive postage stamp, the Penny Black, had been launched just seven months earlier.’
- ‘Kelly first received official approval in 1980 when a postage stamp was issued to mark the centenary of his death.’
- ‘About 70,000 objects about the size of a postage stamp have been detected between 850-1,000 km above the Earth.’
- ‘She has even had her face depicted on a Ugandan postage stamp!’
- ‘At this point, I am so sick of looking at it, I would publish it on a postage stamp if I could list that on my CV and reference it in my next paper.’
- ‘The Houdini postage stamp is now on sale, as I announced last week.’
- ‘You'll save a postage stamp and also reduce your chances of overlooking this federal requirement.’
- ‘The drawings are so dense with graphite and so sharply outlined against a larger white sheet that they appear to adhere to it like a postage stamp.’
- ‘Taking the quiz online will also save you the cost of a postage stamp.’
- ‘In addition, a Warhol postage stamp will be issued next year.’
- ‘There will be a lucky dip, incorporating the elusive Penny Black, the world's first adhesive postage stamp.’
- ‘But the thing that really annoys me is that people expect you to pay for all this period charm and bathrooms the size of a postage stamp.’
- ‘Ever since the first postage stamp, the Penny Black, was released, philately has enthralled both the young and the old.’
- ‘A microprocessor, as small as a postage stamp, performs thousands of calculations per second based on readings from the sensor.’
- ‘Armadillo aficionados might be interested to know that Cambodia has issued a postage stamp to celebrate a prehistoric armadillo.’
- ‘The breed was also honored on a postage stamp issued by Turkey in 1978.’
- ‘The government has given the go ahead for the concept and draft design for a postage stamp pending further consultations with stakeholders.’
- ‘Release all your hatred, all for the price of a postage stamp!’
- ‘Her name and likeness adorned a five-cent postage stamp issued March 10 of that year.’
- ‘In 1982, a Bob Marley commemorative postage stamp was issued in Jamaica.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.