Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Strengthen (reinforced concrete) by applying tension to the reinforcing rods after the concrete has set.‘post-tensioned concrete’
- ‘Staged stressing is also common to minimize the possibility of cracks because there are no moisture-proof membranes inside a post-tensioned concrete tank.’
- ‘For the standard post-tensioned post-and-beam structure, the concrete mix was developed to get up to post-tensioning strength within 2 days.’
- ‘Precast concrete pavement sections were then placed and post-tensioned together.’
- ‘To control distorting deflections, the K-braces incorporate tie-beams which were sequentially post-tensioned as construction proceeded upwards.’
- ‘Beams supporting the post-tensioned floor were formed within the 8-inch depth of the floor slab to maintain an uninterrupted ceiling plane and the floor-to-ceiling window height.’
- ‘We are currently wrapping up an underground parking garage project where some of the floors lack sufficient concrete cover on the bottom bars of a suspended, post-tensioned slab.’
- ‘Two conduits were slipped through the barrier wall, and cable was pulled through and post-tensioned, holding barriers in place.’
- ‘The post-tensioning keeps the construction joints tightly closed.’
- ‘The mudroom features post-tension concrete masonry units filled with a spray foam insulation made from tree sap.’
- ‘The structural slab that spans the girders is 8 inches thick, also of post-tensioned concrete.’
- ‘Retrofitted reinforced masonry can be post-tensioned after installation to increase the internal vertical stress and maximize spalling protection in low-level masonry structures.’
- ‘And finally we will cast a slab, and post-tension it to failure.’
- ‘Because of the poor soil conditions in their area, post-tensioned reinforcement and ‘waffle’ grade beam slab construction is used in all their work.’
- ‘The concept was to build a central core or ‘mast’ using structurally reinforced concrete, and post-tension the floors to the mast - there would be no columns to support the floors.’
- ‘In addition, each segment is transversely post-tensioned to increase strength and minimize cracking, and the segments are fastened together longitudinally with’
- ‘To protect the tendons, calcium chloride and other materials containing chloride must not be used as admixtures in concrete slabs that are to be post-tensioned.’
- ‘The new post-tensioned concrete allows for a thinner deck, widening clearances by about 10 ft.’
- ‘Both epoxy-coated steel reinforcing bars and post-tensioning cables were used for the project.’
- ‘The beam and slab are post-tensioned and apparently no incidents occurred upon stressing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.