Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a person) completely controlled by an evil spirit.‘he can turn into a possessed animal at will’
- ‘But first the possessed person must be in a state of trance.’
- ‘Possessed individuals often took advantage of their situation to blaspheme or behave in shockingly immoral fashion.’
- ‘Pretty soon Ash is the only sane person left, and he must battle the possessed Cheryl and Scott.’
- ‘He is a slightly possessed, haunted, eccentric man; his enemies prefer to say ' insane '.’
- ‘The possessed Johannes predicts her death, and she dies.’
- ‘Maya decodes a numerical warning left by a demonically possessed sociopath.’
- ‘At one point, a character huddles on a bed and watches the door as she waits for her possessed friend to bust in.’
- ‘She was the opposite of possessed; she was vacated.’
- ‘My sense of foreboding wasn't helped by the possessed woman, who was talking in a language from the north that she had never learnt.’
- ‘Here the Devil can cause the possessed person to say or do evil things.’
- ‘An exorcism is a religious rite for driving Satan or evil spirits out of a possessed person, place, or thing.’
- ‘During the experiment, state-of-the-art neuro-imaging technology will be used to monitor the brain activity of a supposedly possessed man.’
- ‘This feature is equally apparent in the story of the healing of the possessed boy.’
- ‘I expected to find a possessed fanatic, yet this was not the case.’
- ‘The makeup on the possessed characters is appropriately disgusting, with blank white eyes, and overly large distorted mouths.’
- ‘The mother of a possessed little girl is talking to the recently arrived priest who is going to perform an exorcism.’
- ‘Ritual possession may end abruptly when the possessed person becomes limp or falls with exhaustion.’
- ‘Instead of creating the usual digital effects, Jennifer Carpenter, the daughter of film director John Carpenter, convincingly distorts her body to portray the possessed girl.’
- ‘Everyone jumped at the mention of a witch, afraid that they would be the next person to become a possessed victim of their mysterious black magic.’
- ‘Their identity can only be guessed at by the symptoms of the possessed person, and also by the astrological calculations of our Brahmins.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.