Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in business and politics) a written report outlining someone's attitude or intentions regarding a particular matter.
- ‘After a position paper is written, the legislative committee should share it with all grassroots members and other coalition organizations.’
- ‘Kathindi said the hake industry was preparing a position paper, which will be presented to the minister of fisheries and marine resources.’
- ‘He said the central bank's assessment of the island's financial system greatly differs from that taken by the magazine, pointing to a position paper drawn up by central bank officials Sunday.’
- ‘The meeting carefully considered the position paper presented by the management and adopted its key recommendations, the university announced this week.’
- ‘The discussion document will form the basis of a future position paper which will then go to the Department of Health, which is in charge of reforming marriage law.’
- ‘A one-page position paper on inclusion was written and distributed by the district's director of special education two years ago.’
- ‘There was possibly a position paper or an objection report that - I am not sure it is in the papers, your Honour.’
- ‘In a recent position paper, Tanner wrote that Social Security faces a horrendous unfinanced liability of $26 trillion over 75 years.’
- ‘However, this must be balanced against the recent position paper of the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation on full number portability.’
- ‘I have just presented a position paper of sorts to our board suggesting some changes in structure that would still allow governance by the partners while fulfilling both of those mandates.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.