One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A slide from one note to another, especially in singing or playing a bowed string instrument.
- ‘In arias such as ‘Quando le sere al placido’ from Luisa Miller, some might feel that Bocelli overdoes the portamento, though; at times he's even croony.’
- ‘In these 1949 recordings the strings are much more forward and emphasized, though the brass is certainly there, and the portamento utilized more.’
- ‘I have a very strong feeling in the Andante Cantabile of the players only just resisting the temptation to portamento slides between the notes.’
- ‘With generous string portamenti and relaxed rhythmic pointing, Karajan also washes the Czech character out of the Eighth Symphony.’
- ‘String vibrato is less prominent in these recordings, and portamenti are used both for expression and to create a living legato.’
- ‘Strings possess that ‘white’ sounding, non-vibrato blend which keep textures absolutely clear, while the tiny touches of Italian portamenti give a foretaste of Rossini and Donizetti, who were shortly to arrive on the scene.’
- ‘Ilona Domnich and Betabée Haas relished the wonderfully silly vocal rivalry in The Impresario, the swooning portamenti of one's ‘adagio, adagio!’’
- ‘Horenstein brings out every bizarre detail and even puts some in - string portamenti where none are written, deliberate smears in the brass, even slightly sour wind playing - all of which contributes to one's psychic queasiness.’
- ‘The other instrumental, ‘A Hymnal’, belongs to guest cellist Anna Fritz, whose portamento flights are the most sensual thing on the album.’
- ‘String players slid expressively from one note to the next - portamento, the style was called - in imitation of the slide of the voice.’
- ‘For instance, singers and string players used to slide between important notes of a phrase, an articulation called portamento that generally vanished by 1950.’
- ‘His intonation, mode of approaching each note and portamenti in ‘Di Cupido impiego i vanni’, his words upon arrival, with Haim's spot-on accompaniment, said it all.’
2Piano playing in a manner intermediate between legato and staccato.as modifier ‘a portamento style’
Italian, literally ‘carrying’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.