One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The system of blood vessels consisting of the portal vein with its tributaries and branches.
- ‘The larvae enter the veins of the portal system and are carried to the liver.’
- ‘The fact that veins can be seen is not useful, but the direction of blood flow in visible veins can be useful information because these veins connect to the portal system through the umbilical vein.’
- ‘‘Piles’ of the cardiac orifice of the stomach from obstruction to the portal system, may produce hemoptysis.’
- ‘None of the veins have valves, hence they form a free communication between the systematic and portal systems of veins.’
- ‘Doppler studies of the portal system are helpful in cases in which Budd-Chiari syndrome or a vena caval web are suspected.’
- ‘Rectal carcinoma is uncommonly associated with systemic metastases in the absence of liver metastases, reflecting the predilection for spread via the portal system.’
- 1.1 Any system of blood vessels which has a capillary network at each end.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.