Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rigid structural frame consisting essentially of two uprights connected at the top by a third member.
- ‘The wall and the roof work together, in effect forming a two-pinned portal frame.’
- ‘The Wrap House is made from rendered block work on a steel portal frame and, unconventionally but correctly, it faces sideways towards the north where the sun can be easily controlled.’
- ‘The four-bay building has a concrete portal frame and the warehouse area has an eaves height of 5.8 metres.’
- ‘Designed with the assistance of structural engineer Bill Paterson, the pavilion is a lofty, rectangular, flat-roofed, two-way portal frame.’
- ‘The structure is essentially three column portal frames that carry longitudinal channels, which bear purlins at 2m centres.’
- ‘Its roof is supported on 12 laminated timber portal frames trussed at their ridges with inclined 2 x 4in struts and steel rod ties.’
- ‘The rectangular plan is created with oxidized steel portal frames.’
- ‘Filigree of propped portal frames support the floating ceiling.’
- ‘A simple long glass box would not do, so Jim Eyre evolved a proposal that involved creating a tube out of square portal frames that are rotated, ensuring that at each end the bridge is level and square to the facade it addresses.’
- ‘The design is an elegant, spaceship-like pod of laminated structural timber portal frames clad in aluminium panels.’
- ‘The box is supported on steel portal frames, and from these are propped frames that provide the spaces for the cafeteria and the main dual restaurant space.’
- ‘It is anticipated that a portal frame building would be needed for much of the processing and there would also be external storage bays.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.