Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A larger recrystallized grain occurring in a finer groundmass in a metamorphic rock.
- ‘Such inclusions may be aligned, preserving evidence of the fabric in the rock when the porphyroblast grew.’
- ‘In contrast, 2 km to the NE on the southern side of the Dharlang Nala, there are kyanite grade assemblages with a weaker foliation, flattened symmetrically around garnet porphyroblasts.’
- ‘Cordierite in these two metamorphic belts forms rounded, opaque black to brown porphyroblasts typically less than 0.5 inch across.’
- ‘Evidence of contact metamorphism of the wall-rock includes andalusite porphyroblasts enclosed in a fabric related to Caledonian nappe emplacement.’
- ‘The foliation in the lowest unit is locally overgrown by porphyroblasts of andalusite (now commonly altered to finegrained phyllosilicates) and by biotite.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.