Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a rock texture, typically found in volcanic rocks, containing distinct crystals or crystalline particles embedded in a fine-grained groundmass.
- ‘Coarser fractions additionally contain volcanic clasts of vesicular and porphyritic lava, tuff and pumice.’
- ‘The original porphyritic texture with plagioclase phenocrysts is still recognizable.’
- ‘The biotite-granite continues these trends of increasing orthoclase over plagioclase and biotite over homblende, to produce a coarse-grained pink porphyritic rock in which orthoclase phenocrysts dominate.’
- ‘It is a light grey, porphyritic volcanic to subvolcanic rock, which shows almost no deformation.’
- ‘These crystals eventually form the phenocrysts found in porphyritic rocks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.