One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a rock texture, typically found in volcanic rocks, containing distinct crystals or crystalline particles embedded in a fine-grained groundmass.
- ‘These crystals eventually form the phenocrysts found in porphyritic rocks.’
- ‘Coarser fractions additionally contain volcanic clasts of vesicular and porphyritic lava, tuff and pumice.’
- ‘It is a light grey, porphyritic volcanic to subvolcanic rock, which shows almost no deformation.’
- ‘The original porphyritic texture with plagioclase phenocrysts is still recognizable.’
- ‘The biotite-granite continues these trends of increasing orthoclase over plagioclase and biotite over homblende, to produce a coarse-grained pink porphyritic rock in which orthoclase phenocrysts dominate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.