Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.
erotica, pornographic material, pornographic films, pornographic literature, pornographic videos, hard-core pornography, soft-core pornography, dirty bookssmut, filth, viceporn, hard porn, soft porn, porno, girlie magazines, skin magazines, cheesecake, porniesfacetiaecuriosaView synonyms
- ‘Yet he watches pornography as he has his first sexual relationship with her.’
- ‘Miller found me guilty of adultery and possessing pornography and formally reprimanded me.’
- ‘He is concerned by the mainstream media's portrayal of women as much as Internet pornography.’
- ‘Miller's stories fold into a pleasingly nasty and perverse piece of pornography.’
- ‘Could it be that Leftists are not bothered by pornography but do like to deplore violence?’
- ‘From fast food to perfumes, advertising images drawn from pornography surround us.’
- ‘Hardcore pornography only becomes a problem, it seems, when consumed in private.’
- ‘Someone once described pornography as an industry that creates desire where none exists.’
- ‘There's always a tricky issue when you get into stolen material or pornography.’
- ‘Moore also told officers that they would find images of child pornography on his computer.’
- ‘Was it illuminating and instructive, or was it merely emotional pornography?’
- ‘Access to pornography, however, does not appear to have been universally restricted.’
- ‘The denial of the social fact of sexuality in pornography is made explicit in its audience.’
- ‘The media presenting the images like pornography, with a mixture of outrage and titillation.’
- ‘They seem to forget that pornography is one of America's biggest industries.’
- ‘Because it was limited to the elite, pornography had a kind of back-door respectability.’
- ‘This is not hardcore pornography and the material can be bought in many stores.’
- ‘So young people binge drink, fight, take lots of drugs, and watch pornography on TV.’
- ‘Downloading pornography is classified as making an image because it creates a new version.’
- ‘They are the only political party in the UK to endorse the production of juvenile pornography.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek pornographos writing about prostitutes from pornē prostitute + graphein write.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.