One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal (of a person or part of their body) fleshy or fat.
fat, fattish, plump, portly, rotund, roly-poly, pot-bellied, round, dumpy, chunky, broad in the beam, overweight, fleshy, paunchy, corpulentView synonyms
- ‘Going to the nearest person in sight, which happens to be a porky security guard, Annette asked him if all the taxis in America had disappeared.’
- ‘There's no denying it: I've been getting porky and out of shape lately.’
- ‘Old Bruce is not happy to be reminded that he was once a porky loser who talks as if his mouth is full of spit and looks like a living donut.’
- ‘You'd think they couldn't ruin a steak, surely there's a rubicund, porky chef, with a hat, prodding and turning steaks over a hot griddle.’
- ‘He's porky and slow, but doesn't let that bother him.’
- ‘Opposite me, a porky man devoured his three double cheeseburgers in a panic.’
- ‘It seems the porky guard's brother-in-law can pull strings on the parole board, and good boxers can write their ticket to an early parole.’
- ‘His porky arms spilled over the sides of his chair and threatened to encroach mine. His fat legs blocked the gangway, meaning I couldn't step over him to get to the loo mid-flight.’
- ‘Besides a few directly by his side (and Veloce who wasn't there) they were either week looking, skinny or chubby, porky fellows.’
- ‘The health warnings before you start each tape indicate real fears of porky viewers overdoing it.’
- ‘In fact, looking at the porky physiques on parade at the Lakeside, it's doubtful whether they could even manage a hop or a skip, let alone the jump.’
- ‘It started years ago when we all realised we were getting a bit more porky than we should be.’
- ‘He then decided this was not nearly traumatic enough an experience for me and went on to squeeze unused sachets of mayonnaise into his porky little mouth and gobble this down too.’
- ‘He must have thought that the music teacher was porky himself to have made the association in the first place.’
- ‘These fitness machines once promised a slim future to porky pizza-eaters.’
- ‘It seems to me that the word has gone out amongst the porky community, because they're beginning to fight back.’
- ‘I have to be careful I don't preach to my sybaritic, porky friends with messianic fervour about the joys of healthy eating.’
- ‘Nine unusual porky pets are desperate to find new homes.’
- ‘What worries me about McConnell in the gym is not that he still looks porky, but his determination to prove himself a dynamic and active leader.’
2Of or resembling pork.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.