Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Chinese snack consisting of steamed or baked bread dough filled with barbecued pork.
- ‘The anonymous informant forced the company to admit it had sold pork buns made with a banned additive.’
- ‘Highlights included the BBQ pork buns at the pricey but elegant Peninsula Hotel across from the Festival headquarters in the HK Cultural Centre.’
- ‘A freezer showcases chicken gyoza, mini pork buns and most everything else you would find on a dim sum cart.’
- ‘In the main dining room, chef Sam Leong whips up highlights including sashimi, dim sum (featuring the fluffiest pork buns ever) and contemporary dishes like crispy cod with "Thailandaise" sauce scented with lemon-grass.’
- ‘We ordered shrimp dumplings, spring rolls, pork buns, won tons and noodles for our boys.’
- ‘He made these things that were a cross between a steam pork bun and a dumpling - pretty much a stuffed piece of bread with either vege or meat fillings.’
- ‘My favourite things were bbq pork buns (steamed or baked) and coconut buns.’
- ‘We had a few people over for Chinese food (dim sum, steamed pork buns, etc), and then realised on Sunday morning that it'd been Chinese New Year.’
- ‘Crystal Jade's barbequed pork buns (16 RMB) are also first-rate and will provide a few moments of respite from the searing dandan soup.’
- ‘I had previously sampled the bakery's tasty pork buns and sweet red bean delights.’
- ‘But where were the pushcarts that sell delicious Chinese delicacies like pork buns and turnip cakes?’
- ‘I encouraged everyone to share pork buns with me because I'd heard they were good.’
- ‘Patrick Vaccariello, the chef at Harry's Cafe and Harry's Steak in nearby Hanover Square, oversees a kitchen that turns out breakfast fare at all hours and serves food like pastas, burgers, steamed pork buns and tuna tacos.’
- ‘After wandering through the streets filled with people and the smell of fresh pork buns, we found a poster advertising for the Trick Art Museum.’
- ‘On this morning in early June, however, the pageant experience was just beginning in an unremarkable private room of East Manor, away from the din of diners and the heady smell of pork buns and Peking duck.’
- ‘But it looks like pigs are getting their revenge for all these centuries of crispy bacon and pork buns.’
- ‘Miniature roast pork buns, won tons, egg rolls, shredded cabbage salad and green-tea ice cream are included.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.