Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular or plural] The people living in a particular country or area.‘the party misjudged the mood of the populace’
population, inhabitants, residents, natives, occupants, occupierscommunity, country, public, people, nationcommon people, general public, man in the street, woman in the street, masses, multitude, rank and file, commonality, commonalty, third estate, plebeians, proletariat, crowdman on the street, woman on the streetfolk, common folkjoe public, joe bloggsjohn doedenizensthe hoi polloi, common herd, rabble, mob, riff-raff, the canaille, the great unwashed, proles, plebsindigenesView synonyms
- ‘The commander's emergency response program is a program set up by the military to take care of humanitarian needs for the local populaces - needs that will make a quick and lasting impact on the community.’
- ‘The tribal populace in the hilly areas of the State has not been largely affected by the same as comapared to the plain people.’
- ‘Atrocities that occur in dictatorships generate little fanfare or international reaction because the images are not as available to the wired West or to repressed populaces.’
- ‘It's when they up the ante and start selling air to whole areas that the populace is left, quite literally, gasping.’
- ‘The most difficult and the most valuable is a well-educated populace.’
- ‘As the story goes, the crime wave currently sweeping places like Trinidad has been caused by the return of undesirables who upon repatriation have brought all manners of new criminal skills to bear on our hapless populaces.’
- ‘Do I think that states will use whatever technology is available to control their own populaces?’
- ‘It does not matter whether we fly jets, develop purchasing agreements with local populaces, guard airfield and housing perimeters, make policies, or design new weapon systems, our thoughts do count in this uncertain future.’
- ‘Now, this could be because the outraged populace is rising up in protest - but outraged populaces generally do not rise up in protest with car bombs.’
- ‘He received the support of the local populace and became that constituency's MP.’
- ‘Finally, anthropologists since Eric Wolf's seminal work on brokers have observed bureaucracies encouraging patron-client relationships, both between bureaucrats and clients and within local populaces.’
- ‘Applied anthropologists, by their work placed in between corporations, government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, and various populaces, are well-positioned to study up.’
- ‘In some Muslim societies, judges and populaces might stone out of mistaken belief that this was what Islam required.’
- ‘I can't wait for the crowd who plead for understanding of why certain populaces have brought terrorism on themselves to try and wiggle this one around 180 degrees.’
- ‘When this occurs, the victim becomes completely insane, and in large populaces, such as ours, riots and chaos ensue.’
- ‘Two populaces living under two extreme weather conditions virtually eradicated off the face of the globe.’
- ‘There is also a population zone, which prevents one from building a city too close to other friendly or enemy populaces.’
- ‘The order was intended to create a new dimension of fear among the local populace by making its victims simply disappear without trace.’
- ‘Without a well-educated populace we are a poor and intellectually bankrupt society.’
- ‘The paternalistic style of rule is unequal to the demands of transparency and accountability that local populaces - and overseas investors - want.’
Late 16th century: from French, from Italian popolaccio common people from popolo people + the pejorative suffix -accio.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.